Friday, December 17, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 13-14 & Overall Course

I cant believe that the semester is already behind us.  I literally watched myself grow as a health educator over the course of this semester, and I have to say that this class contributed a huge part to that.  Here is a recap of the past two weeks of this course as well as my overall reflection.

Week 13
We began this week by having an Advocacy Project due where we wrote a letter to an elected official about the bill we had chosen earlier, and also created a fact sheet to support our argument.  This was a very unique experience for myself because I had never done anything like this before.  Also, we met as a class at Goodwill Industries to learn about their mission and how things were really operated there.  It was interesting to learn how they are not about production, instead they are about placing their employees within the community and providing the with steady work.  To finish up this day of class we all participated in a wedding activity at Goodwill and were given time to look for items for our upcoming junking projects.  The final item on the agenda for this week was our final weekly reflection and overall reflection of our Eco-Chic Lifestyle change.  It was very interesting to see how everyone progressed through their goal and their success along the way.

Week 14
To begin our final week of class, we had yet another Advocacy Project due.  This was an online lesson created individually regarding the bill we had previously chosen.  My project was based primarily around educating our class about automobile emissions and how to reduce our impact.  Later in the week we completed each online lesson for all of the members of our blog group, it was pretty cool to see the interesting things everyone came up with.  Also during class on monday we all presented our "Junking" projects, this was an extremely neat way to end the class.  It was great to see everyones wonderful ideas and how much time and effort they had put into their personal projects.  The creativity of our class never ceases to amaze me, and these projects definitely impressed me more than I thought.

My Junking Project was an old oil heater that i had found laying around at my grandparents.
My Junking Project
My Junking Project

Overall Course
Where can I really start with this course, I never imagined that I would take so much away from this class.  This class opened up my eyes so much to issues that I never even realized existed.  An example of this would be the terrible things that go into processing the meat we buy in the U.S.  I guess you could say I was a bit sheltered with that because I have always eaten beef directly from our family farm, wild turkey we have harvested, pork and chicken from the farms of family friends, and wild game like venison and bear that we harvest ourselves.  Seeing the terrible things they do to these animals and the ways they cut corners just to increase production and make a bit more money make me pretty sick.

I could go on all day talking about things that greatly impacted me throughout this class, such as "Tapped," "Fresh," "Future of Food," our lifestyle changes, junking, and even blogging.  I would like to take a second however to discuss how much this class has made me grow and mature.  I honestly think this class has made a huge impact on me as a health educator and opened my eyes to so many more issues than I ever even knew about.  Going into this class I had no idea what to really expect, but walking away from it I know that the information and knowledge I am taking away will stick with me forever. The amount of information and experience that I gained from this class definitely made me much more well rounded as both a student and a professional.

6 comments:

  1. Your junking project turned out so great! It looks really good! There's so much that we are able to take from this class and educate others about. I pass the information I learned from this class on to as many people as I can. It has also helped me to grow more as a health educator as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a lot from the documentaries, too. Especially "Tapped". It was so practical and it really hit home. I loved you junking project that you did for your mom. I'm sure she'll love it, too. Great job this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with you that we have a very creative class. Some of the items that were chosen to junk were crazy, and then they turned into these awesome creations. It was so much fun to see everyone's project. I also found the documentaries to be very powerful. They will definitely continue to have an impact on my lifestyle. It is awesome you are able to reflect on your journey as a health educator, because it is only just beginning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with you about this class. It has defiantly broadened by horizons for being a health educator. I feel like this class has helped me be more of a health educator at that. I really liked going to the Goodwill. I was impressed with the way they ran the business. Also, your junking project turned out super cool, it is very unique too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your junking project turned out terrific! it looks like an item you could by at pottery barn or something. But the best part is that it is all reused. I think junking is one of the most fun and useful concepts we learned this semester. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would agree that this course really got us to think outside of our boxes and to take a look at the world - whether it be good or bad. I also feel that most of us are a lot more confident when it comes to creating and maintaining a blog. Now is a chance for us to put our health education into knowledge and continue to share with others about how to be healthy and maintain a healthy world.

    ReplyDelete